Tourism types: Ski-tour|
Region: Russia » Caucasus » Elbrus Region (Prielbrusye)
Level of Proficiency: competent off-piste skiing
Length of Tour: 12 days, 11 nights
|Guaranteed by Alpindustria
Convenient order form
20% discount on equipment
||above 5 pax
||above 5 pax
||above 5 pax
The program is offered to participants, who are in good physical shape and have confidence in skiing. During prolonged expeditions (2 to 5 hours) using the ski touring equipment, you will find yourself in seldom visited areas with greater opportunities for off-piste skiing. In all likelihood, you will make only one descent on this day, but what! The emotional component of these routes is so high that some of you won’t immediately be able to clearly answer the question, Which is the most interesting one - climbing up, enjoying the serenity and unique landscapes or climbing down? Travelling - many feel the harmony of this day: an ascent and a descent ...
In the course of ascents and descents, you will learn to better understand the mountains and "read the terrain” in the course of intimate interactions with our guides. They will tell you, how to plot the safest route of ascent and descent, will conduct workshops on avalanche equipment.
Elbrus is the highest mountain range in the Greater Caucasus. At the same time it has the proud title of being the highest point in Europe and Russia. Mount Elbrus is located in the lateral ridge, entirely within the territory of our country. It is a cone of an extinct volcano on a high base of granites and schist. The West summit of Elbrus (5642m altitude) and the East Summit (5621m) are separated by a deep saddle (5325m). Elbrus is covered with a cap of firn and ice wherefrom there are 54 glaciers flowing down to sides.
After active acclimatization, welcome to Elbrus!
The description of the route of an ascent Mt. Elbrus Western 2a category of complexity.
1. Barrels (3780m) to Shelter (4050m) takes 1.5 hours. Move along the snow-and-ice fields. There can be cracks in the area of the plateau before the ascent to Shelter 11. Be careful!
2. Shelter (4050m) to Pastukhov Rocks (4600m) takes about 2 to 3 hours. The rise trails between two rocky ridges (4300m), further snow-and-ice rise (15 to 20 degrees, 50 m) with an exit to the plateau under Pastukhov rocks. The climb to the "Pastukhov Rocks" is along the closed glacier (20 °). There are no cracks here. There exists an approach along the plateau under the bottom stones of Pastukhov Rocks (5 degrees, a rock-fall is not ruled out in a summer afternoon). Then, climb to the top of Pastukhov rocks through snow-and-ice slope of 15 to 20° steep.
3. Pastukhov Rocks (4600m) to Slanting Shelf (5000m) takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. Snow-and-ice rise of 500 to 600 m has a slope of 15 to 20°. The ascent is straight up, avoiding the bends of ice (but you should not go far to the left, not to fall under the faults on the southern cirque glacier) and by turning to the left, we go out to Slanting Shelf (5000m).
4. Slanting shelf (5000m) to Motorcycle couloir (5340m) takes about 2 to 2.5 hours. It is rather a flat traverse with a smooth climb. The steepness of slope on the inclined traverse is 15 °, and in some places, up to 25°.
5. Motorcycle couloir (5340m) to Saddle (5350m) takes about 20 to 30 min. Take a detour around the foot of the eastern peak (400 to 500 m) below. On this site, one can sense the smell of sulfur dioxide emitted from fumaroles on the southern slope. In case of an adverse wind, it poses a serious hurdle to the hikers. Traverse to get to the saddle, and move cautiously on the trails, as there can be cracks. On the left, under the slopes of the western summit, at the beginning of snow trough is the structure of an old ruined hut, and in front of it at the top of the eastern summit, a new hut has been built, designed solely for rescuing persons caught up in inclement, extreme weather conditions during the ascent (construction of the hut was completed in August 2010).
6. Saddle (5350m) to the point of entry into the summit plateau (5550m) takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. At 50m from the hut, turn right and along fairly steep snow slope (30 to 35°), climb up to the rocky ridge. There may be ice patch before the ridge. At this point, there can be movement on the railing.
7. Summit plateau (5550m) to the top of West Elbrus (5642m). Hence climb up and left on the summit plateau. Through a 400-meter flat area, we reach a low dome of the top (40 minutes to 1 hour).
8. The peak of Mount Elbrus West is a small, snow and ice rise of 15° steep with a stone pedestal at the top.
9. Descend via the ascent route.
Attention! In the case of weather getting rough, it becomes difficult to focus on long and smooth slopes of Elbrus! When there appear lenticular (lens-shaped) clouds above the top or cloudiness over Ushba and Donguz-Orun, it is necessary to either postpone or cancel the hiking. The time period from the first signs of bad weather to complete loss of visibility may take up to 3 hours.
Technically simple ascent to Elbrus from the South makes it possible to see the entire Caucasus from a height. The changing panorama, as one climbs up, leaves an everlasting impression. Especially the ascent made at dawn is memorable, when a huge shadow of Mount Elbrus rises over the horizon in the west under the rays of the rising sun.
Route: Mineralnye Vody airport - Adyrsu valley - Terskol - hotel Ozon*** - Barrels on Elbrus - Elbrus top 5642m - Barrels on Elbrus - Terskol - hotel Ozon*** - Mineralnye Vody airport
Arrival at Mineralnye Vody, our representative will receive you and transfer to Elbrus region. Accommodation at AUSB (Mountaineering and Sports Training Centre) Ulutau, Adyrsu gorge. Discuss the program for the next day, Look at and select your personal equipment.
Acclimatization hike near the Mestia Pass (3757m), exit to the very pass is forbidden for frontier guards, 6 to 8 hours of stay at AUSB (Mountaineering and Sports Training Centre) Ulutau.
Training for ski mountaineering. Preparation of equipment for skiing with ski climbers. Select the skiing route.
Basic techniques of skiing.
Ascents and descents on steep slopes.
Avalanche training. Avalanches, code of conduct on avalanche prone slopes.
Discuss the program for the next day, Look at and select your personal equipment.
Acclimatization hike near the Garvash Pass (3665m). Accommodation at AUSB (Mountaineering and Sports Training Centre) Ulutau. Training for ski mountaineering. Mastering the skills of descent on virgin snow. Movement in groups of 2 to 5 persons (covered glacier, ascent, traverse, descent). Discuss the program for the next day, look at and select your personal equipment.
Acclimatization hike to the Gumachi Pass (3582m) or Koyavganaush (3564m). Transfer from AUSB Ullutau to hotel. Discuss the program for the next day, look at and select your personal equipment.
Ascent by cableway to Cheget up to a height of 3000m in two lines (30 minutes). Acclimatization hike to the shoulder of Cheget Mountain (3460m), ascend for 1 to 2 hours. Training for ski mountaineering.
Mastering the skills of descent on virgin snow. At the top, there is a good viewing platform overlooking the Elbrus, the Greater Caucasus Mountain Range. The route runs along a rocky ridge. A small snack, packed lunch and slide down the snowy slopes of the southern Cheget. Outing takes about 3 to 5 hours. Return to the hotel. Meet the guide, discuss the program for the next day, look at and select your personal equipment, prepare to enter the Green hotel.
An acclimatizing outing to the gorge Adyl-Su with rising on the Gumachi False Acclimatization hike to the gorge Adylsu with an ascent near the Gumachi False Pass (3576m). Back to the hotel. Packed lunch.
From the mountaineering camp Dzhantugan, we go past the shelter Adylsu MO (2200m) to the shelter Green Hotel (2400m). Here, a little rest and then an optional visit to the moraine on the right depending on affordability. Exit to glacier Dzhankuat. Further, we go up along right side of the glacier, we reach its center, go under the slopes of the Aristov Rocks (a closed glacier, so the movement in groups), and before reaching the foot of the Pass, we start ascending on the right steep snow slope that leads to the Pass. 3 to 4 hours from the Green Hotel. The Pass is a wide ruined rocky ridge, terminating in the South with 20-meter high cliffs. The descent is via the ascent route. Back to the hotel. Discuss the program for the next day, look at and select your personal equipment, prepare for your trip to high-altitude zone.
Ascent to the Gara-Bashi, accommodation in a shelter Barrels.
Ascend by shuttle ropeway up to Mir station, and then by chair lift to Garabashi station. Azau (2200m) - Staryi Krugozor (2950m) - Mir (3500m) - Garabashi (3750m), then climb on foot to the Barrels, located 50 meters from the ropeway station Garabashi. Acclimatization hike to Diesel Hat (4050m) for 1.5 hours. Training for ski mountaineering.
Mastering the skills of descent on virgin snow. Workshop on the movement on snow and icy topography with the group guide.
Discuss the program for the next day, look at and select your personal equipment. Overnight stay in the high-altitude shelter.
Acclimatization hike to the Pastukhov Rocks (4600m). Ascend for 3 to 4.5 hours, and 1 to 1.5 hours of descent. Discuss the tactics of climbing Elbrus, look at and select your personal equipment, prepare for the ascent. Overnight stay in the mountain shelter.
Day of ascent. The ascent runs through the route of 2a category difficulty. Early start at 3 am, if you use snowcat up to the Pastukhov Rocks, then you can start at 4 am. Duration of ascent is 12 to 16 hours (8 to 12 hours of climb and 4 to 5 hours of descent).Movement on skis or in crampons depends on snow conditions on the slopes. If there is enough snow, it is quite possible to reach on skis to the saddle. If not, you can leave your skis at the end of the ridge or on the Pastukhov rocks. The trail to the summit is marked with poles, but you can only go up in good weather! There are a lot of cracks on the glacier covered with snow, so it is better not to go by the trail. We should go in crampons! In May and November, the slope to the saddle can have long stretches of pure ice. In this case, the route is accessible only to the trained participants. Particularly dangerous is the longest descent (3.5 km at about 30° steep). Overnight stay in the high-altitude shelter.
Reserve day in case of bad weather. Descent to Azau, lunch at the cafe, transfer to the hotel, accommodation.
Trip to the gorge Azau followed by ascent near the Chiper Azau Pass (3264m) in the case of good weather and favorable conditions of the slopes. Return to the hotel.
Breakfast, transfer to Mineralnye Vody airport, departure to Moscow.
1. “Alpindustria” staff company for all the program.
2. Transport. All transfers according to the program (Minvody airport – hotel- airport, transfers to Adyrsu-Adylsu valleys, transfers in the region). Transportation of the luggage to the hotel (and the people – if the weather is bad!)
3. Accommodation. Double hotel rooms: “Ozon” – 5 nights HB,
4. An English -speaking guide.
5. Elbrus and Cheget cable-way/chair lift return tickets according to the program.
6. Food. Full board in the Caucasus - 2 meals a day in hotel restaurants. Lunch in cafes. Pocket lunch while treks and climbing.
7. Certificates on Elbrus expedition.
8. Cook service for Elbrus climbing.
9. The Barrels (3780 m) accommodation on Elbrus 3 nights.
10. Ullutau camp (DBL, FB) 3 nights
11. Local and state tourist taxes:
a. Passports registration;
b. Border area Pass;
c. Visa invitation;
1. Single accommodation.
2. Additional food and drinks.
3. Additional transfers and cable-way
tickets (not included in the program)
3. Equipment rental.
4. Ratrak (snow grooming machine) for
5. Extra night in Elbrus hotel if coming
from Elbrus earlier than it was planned.
6. National Park permit for climbing
Domestic and international air fare. Insurance.
Only ONE attempt of climbing Elbrus is included.
During the trip:
- for foreign citizens - international passport, migration card, visa.
Sweater/thin fleece shirt.
Fleece/windblock jacket and trousers.
Gortex (membrane tissue) jacket and trousers.
Wind-proof mask (balaclava)
Mittens (it’s better to have two pairs).
You can take a warm down jacket with you.
Plastic or leather boots designed for ascents. It’s better to have welted boots and climbing crampons with automatic bindings.
Comfortable climbing harness.
Telescope ski poles.
Climbing crampons with automatic bindings (matching your boots).
Sometimes, we have a rest sitting on a stone, that’s why it’s good to have a carrimat to sit on. You can use it inside your tent: it can be placed under a gas stove or a hot pan.
Carry mat/inflatable mat to sleep on in the snow.
Sleeping bag to keep you warm when camping (a comfortable temperature of +10).
You should have your own spoon, mug, and knife.
Clothing and Equipment
At the height of 5,000 m or more, it can be rather cold: -20 in summer; -40 in winter. Sometimes wild winds blow. We prepare ourselves for the worst weather conditions. At the same time, it can be rather hot down in the valley at the same time.
Equipment rental. The price of the full set of equipment for Elbrus climbing is from 1000 rub per day for 1 pax. For booking equipment you should inform us beforehand giving the boot and clothes sizes.
Climbing Mt.Elbrus is an active kind of sport in the mountains potentially dangerous for the life and health for all the participants of this program.. Our guides will provide the necessary level of safety in case you will follow the Safety Insruction. The guide has a radio, GPS, mobile telephone, all necessary group equipment.
Decision of stopping the programme when the weather and snow conditions impose a threat to lives of the participants is in exclusive competency of the guide accompanying the group on the route and can not be discussed. The guide is responsible for providing safety on all kinds of mountain relief.
All guests should have medical insurance in case of incidents or immediate illness which can cover medical and other expenses in emergency.
You will stay in an instructor cabin in the gorge Adir-Su, while at AUSB Ulla-tau (hot water, bathroom on the floor) in a room for 4 persons.
There are more spartan furnishings in the high-altitude shelters. The shelters are equipped with beds and a kitchen, and a toilet outside. The furniture includes beds with mattresses, blankets and pillows, a table and an electric heater. Temperature varies up to +18 C, the floor is colder (+5 C), and you will have to spend the night in a sleeping bag.
In the case of early descent from the high-altitude shelter before the proposed date under the program, the customer makes the payment for the additional number of days of stay in the hotel. Money paid for pre-booked barrels, shelters, etc. will not be returned!
We use comfortable passenger cars for transfers (depending on the number of persons in a group) or minibuses for 10 to 15 persons. Generally, it is Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and the like. Travel by car GAZ-66 and UAZ from upper Baksan valley to AUSB Ulutau.
Group transfer ‘airport – hotel – airport’ is carried out once on the day of arrival and once on the day of departure. Please finalize the purchase of tickets with the Manager of the Company at the time of signing the contract. If necessary, we can book an individual passenger car.
We ascend to the high-altitude shelter by cable cars, and snowcat can be used for reaching to the Pastukhov rocks.
Group transfer airport – hotel - airport is carried out once on the day of arrival and once on the day of departure. Please finalize the purchase of tickets with the Manager of the Company at the time of signing the contract.
A guide from our company will be working with you. All employees of Alpindustria adventure Team are at your service.
Temperature in the Valley varies from 20 to 30 degrees. It can be from +15 to -5 on the mountain at an altitude of 3500 m, and from +10 to -15 on top depending on the weather. In bad weather, we try not to venture out.
In the valley, it can be up to -20, but this is rare, usually -5 to 10 degrees. On the mountain, the temperature can drop up to -40 at an altitude of 5000 m.
A First-aid kit to render first aid is available with the guide. At any time and in any place, the guide has the ability to communicate with the rescuers of MES. You should be in possession of specific individual medicines.
• Please meet our rules of payment conditions. To provide a successful and safe realization of the program we are to undertake definite efforts and preparation which require expenses.
Down payment when booking is 5000 rub. In case you cancel the trip it is not refundable.
• Full payment should be done not later than 20 days prior to the beginning of the program. If the full payment is not done in this term we consider the trip cancelled and quit the booking.Please, be aware that the first payment is not refunded in this case.
• You can pay in cash in our offices in Moscow, make a bank money transfer or via credit card on-line.
• Moscow - Mineralnye Vody - Moscow flight, international flights.
• In case of an early descent from the high-altitude shelter before the period stipulated in the program, hotel accommodation.
• Money paid for shelters, booked in advance in accordance with the tour program is not refunded. We earnestly hope that you understand these conditions well. In peak season, seats in the shelters are not adequate for all guests, so we book the seats in advance considering the required number of reserve days.
• Local souvenirs.
• Self-catering in the valley (the average price for lunch/supper starts from 300 rubles per head). In the valley, there are many cafes and restaurants, mostly of Caucasian cuisine.
• Climbing by ratrak on the day of ascent costs 600 euros per ratrak (a group of up to 10 persons).
• Excursion ticket by chair lift to Cheget costs 450 rubles per head and by shuttle ropeway to Azau costs 750 rubles per head.
During your stay at the hotel, half board meals are provided in the Elbrus region. On the mountain, a cook (for a group of 2 persons onwards) will cook for you, while packed lunch (sandwich, fruit, biscuits, chocolate and a pack of juice) is served during daytime acclimatization trips. Utensils are provided. Gas is available at Barrels.
If you have any restrictions on food, for example, if you are a vegetarian, you must inform us in advance. We will do everything to make you feel comfortable.
The guide always has a radio-set and a satellite phone on any outing. This set allows you to get in touch anywhere at any time.
Mobile communication ends in Hurzuk settlement. You can use satellite communication for an additional fee. The hotels have Wi-Fi internet access.
You got question? Call us +7(495) 229-50-70 (Moscow)